Fire has gutted the second floor of Ezenwa Plaza, opposite Eke Awka Market, Anambra State.
It was gathered that the fire which occurred late Tuesday, emanated from one of the shops in the plaza as a result of suspected power surge.
It was gathered that a shop was badly burnt because of combustible nature of phones, phone batteries and other accessories that were sold there. The fire also affected some of the roofing sheets of the building.
Confirming the incident, the state fire chief, Martin Agbili, said the fire service responded to the distress call immediately it was alerted to the incident.
Agbili said, “Immediately, we deployed our fire truck and brave firefighters in the scene of the fire. We were able to extinguish the fire. The fire incident which emanated from one of the shops was caused by suspected power surge.
“Only that shop was badly burnt because of combustible nature of phones, phone batteries and other phone accessories sold there. The fire also affected some of the roofing sheets of that building.
“We are extending our gratitude to those who called us in time and those helped in combating the fire.
“Please always switch off all electrical and electronic appliances when not in use to avoid power surge.”