Skip to content

Florida cop accidentally shoots best friend to death while playing video games

  • A Florida cop has been arrested for accidentally shooting his best friend while playing game
  • Police said the cop is heavily distraught and devastated

Florida cop identified as Andrew Lawson accidentally shot and killed his roommate — also an officer — while the pair playing video games, officials said.

Football Highlights

Brevard County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Lawson called 911 early Saturday and told a dispatcher that he had accidentally fired a round at his colleague Austin Walsh, 23, and needed urgent help.

Sheriff Wayne Ivey called the incident “obviously idiotic and avoidable accident” during a press conference. He claimed that Mr. Lawson, who thought he had unloaded his revolver, “jokingly” pointed the handgun at Mr. Walsh and fired the trigger while the two police officers stood and spoke while taking a break from playing online games with pals.

According to the authorities, only one bullet was fired, killing the 23-year-old officer. Mr. Lawson then called 911 right away to ask for assistance after accidentally shooting his roommate.

When police officers arrived at the scene, they found Mr. Lawson “fully distraught and devastated,” Mr. Ivey said. The Sheriff further stated that the cops found Mr. Walsh inside the residence where he “apparently succumbed immediately” to a gunshot wound.

“Austin and Andrew were the best of friends and Andrew was completely devastated over what happened,” Ivey said in a Facebook post. “Even with that, there is no excuse for this tragic and totally avoidable death.”

Ivey said Walsh had fulfilled a lifelong dream of being a police officer and started with the Brevard agency at age 18 after enrolling in a cadet program.

“Man, Austin was such a great kid,” Ivey said. “Our hearts are broken at his loss. He will be deeply missed by our agency, and our community and our prayers are with his family.”

According to Mr. Ivey, the two officers were “the best of friends”. He said that Mr. Lawson is “completely devastated over what happened”. However, he also added, “Even with that, there is no excuse for this tragic and totally avoidable death”.

Agents from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement arrested Mr. Lawson after the incident on a manslaughter charge with no bond. The authorities reported that he turned himself up on Sunday.

Ivey said Lawson was deeply “distraught” at the scene of the incident and cooperated with responding officers.

“Andrew, he’s a great kid,” Ivey said. “Who sadly made a horrible and irresponsible decision that has forever impacted the lives of so many.